Staff reporter
Bloemfontein – The trial against Dr David Motau, former head of department at Health and his 20 co-accused is raising more concerns over the role of AGSA against whistleblowers as the trial continues in Free State high court this week.
Motau who was charged together with 20 others, lost his job at HPCSA following his arrest.
As previously reported, it was Dr Motau who asked Auditor General of South Africa (AGSA) to investigate the suspicious transactions and when the AG report confirmed what he suspected, he then asked Motsie, the former Chief Financial Officer to report the matter to the Hawks.
The Hawks then conducted search and seizure, confiscated all documents.
Few months later Dr Motau was charged for failing to charge implicated employees despite all documentation being with the Hawks.
The Hawks refused to share documents and we have evidence of correspondence.
CONVICTION
Company director Johnson Gerald Similo (48)and his company Siphilile Investments (Pty) Ltd, were found guilty and sentenced by the Free State High Court on Friday, 8 November 2024.
The accused are among the over 20 suspects, including six companies; seven directors; and 13 government officials arrested in 2021 on allegations of fraud and money laundering involving R8,7 million.
A Hawks Serious Commercial Crime Investigation had ensued following the discovery of irregularities by the office of the Auditor-General in 2015. Fraudulent payments were made to service providers between January 2011 and December 2015 under the pretext that they would provide training. The payments were done without actual services being rendered. As a result, the Department of Health was prejudiced and suffered a loss of R8,7 million.
John Gerald Similo was sentenced to five years imprisonment wholly suspended for five years on condition that he is not found guilty of fraud and money laundering during the period of suspension. His company, Siphilile Investments (Pty) Ltd was fined R200 000 wholly suspended for five years on condition that it is not found guilty of fraud and money laundering during the period of suspension.
COMPANIES PAID FOR DOING NOTHING
An affidavit from Mavuso Kwababa of Land Breeze 623 paints a glaring picture.
According to Kwababa, he received two payments of R375 600 on the 15 January 2015 and R328 600 on the 3 February 2015, and on both occasions he was called by Motsumi Polotiki, former employee at Health and instructed him to withdraw the money and give it to him cash as there was a error from the system.
He says he gave the money to Polori and was told to keep just over R150 000, he admits he did not do any work and was not entitled to it.
Polori was convicted and sentenced to 15 years, wholly suspended.
STEPUPSANEWS can confirm signatures were forged.
Trial continues.
If you have news or tips please email news@stepupsanews.co.za or WhatsApp 0685000246


More Stories
BREAKING NEWS | Motsoaledi demands answers from Viceroy Mahlatsi over appointment of a convict as CEO
BREAKING NEWS: MAP Water employees confront Municipal Manager
Selemela runs havoc at DESTEA