Step Up SA

Cutting Edge News, Real Stories From South Africa

Operation Hlasela 2.0 is back, renamed Letsema


Stag reporter


Bloemfontein – Following our article on 25 April in which we asked if the Letsema outreach program is another Operation Hlasela where the African National Congress launched it as a party initiative, by president Ramaphosa has now been adopted by the government.

During the launch in Freedom Square, Mangaung in the Free State Ramaphosa said the country faced many issues that needed to be dealt with and ANC leadership was geared toward it.


Lerato was handed a fully furnished house by Ramaphosa and he promised her a job, it is not clear if ANC built the house or if government money was used considering ANC struggled to pay salaries.

Earlier this week Mxolisi Dukwana, Free State Premier announced the Letsema Outreach Program and committed that every Friday all members of EXCO and senior officials are expected to be part of this outreach program.

In essence, all MECs and HoDs will not be in the office every Friday as they will be cleaning, doing a job local municipalities should be doing.

The past Letsema outreach programs in Edenburg and Caleb Motshabi saw government officials led by the premier cleaning and unblocking sewers much to the disapproval of ANC members who said it can’t be the Premier’s job to clean and unblock sewers when municipalities have the capacity.

A source from the ANC who spoke on condition of anonymity said the province is facing serious challenges and cleaning is not one of them.

“For a province that nothing works both at the provincial and municipal level from governance to service delivery, the provincial government can not prioritize cleaning over housing as people are still waiting for houses.

Our people need jobs, our people need business opportunities, we are losing skillful people in this province and all our government can think is cleaning.”

According to the former public protector, Thuli Madinsela Operation Hlasela benefitted the ANC.

Madonsela also said ­Operation Hlasela’s marketing and advertising campaign unduly benefited the ANC in a way that was inconsistent with the Constitution, the Electoral Act and that it prejudiced other political parties

This is a developing story.

If you have any news or tips please email us at news@stepupsanews.co.za or WhatsApp 0685000246