Step Up SA

Cutting Edge News, Real Stories From South Africa

Dukwana silent on speculation that he might be behind the blaze at his residence while SAPS ask for help

Staff reporter

Bloemfontein – The Free State Premier, Mxolisi Dukwana is keeping mum on speculations that he might be behind the blaze at his official residence in Bloemfontein. This is after the official residence affectionately known as the white house caught fire on Thursday. Sello Dithebe, the spokesperson for Premier had said the fire started around 09h30, and by lunch what remained were ashes.

White House was an official residence to former premiers; Terror Lekota, Dr. Ivy Matsepe Cassaburi, Beatrice Marshoff, Sekgobelo Magashule, and Sefora Ntobela.

This incident was not the first as the house belonging to the parents of Ngwathe Local Municipality, Executive Mayor, Vic De Deer was also burnt down during a protest in Parys while Bloemfontein City Hall was also set on fire two years ago with sources claiming it was employees of Mangaung metro who torched the hall due to cancellation of overtime.

Dukwana ascended to the most powerful position in government following his landslide victory in the ruling party’s provincial conference in January and was subsequently inaugurated as Premier in February, delivering his very first State Of The Province Address (SOPA) 11 years after being shown the door by the erstwhile premier and suspended former secretary general of the ANC, Ace Magashule.

As Premier he had to use the Free State House affectionately known as the white house, hardly a month after he became a Premier, house went under renovations and its not clear how the company that is currently doing renovations got the job and if the job was out on tender, also were the renovations budgeted for considering that the current financial year is ending on the 31 March and departments are yet to have their budget votes.

All government buildings fall under Public Works both Provincially and Nationally, and individual departments are responsible for any maintenance or renovation work to the amount of R15 million.

With questions around what or who caused the fire considering the house reportedly caught fire around 09h30 a day after Centlec power station caught fire, sources close to authority in the province say the two incidents together with the burning of City Hall in Bloemfontein and the house belonging to the parents of Vic De Beer, Executive Mayor of Ngwathe Municipality last year during a protest were planned.

Also, a Centlec employee in the intervention unit was killed outside his home in Bloemfontein, and to date, there are no arrests for all incidents.

Brigadier Motantsi Makhele, spokesperson for SAPS in Free State said no arrest for all fire incidents.

“All those incidents where the fire is involved are still under investigation and no one has been arrested, the Centlec power station is not a police investigation as it was a mechanical breakdown.

Cause in other fire incidents will come out in the forensic report.

With regards to City Hall, he said.

“The one of City Hall it was clear fire was caused by humans, but still no arrests thus far.”

He concluded by asking the public to help with any information.

“All other cases you referred to as well as investigations are continuing and there are no arrests made.

Anyone with information on any of the cases is welcome to provide such information to Crime Stop Line 0860010111 or via MySAPS App”

Mxolisi Dukwana, Free State Premier did not respond to our questions including wild speculation he could be behind the fire.

Dukwana told Chief Justice Zondo he took R10 000 from Guptas for fuel but turned down R2 million a month offer from the same family.

This is a developing story.

If you have news or tips please email us at news@stepupsanews.co.za or WhatsApp 0685000246