Step Up SA

Cutting Edge News, Real Stories From South Africa

Free State Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation management divided over Macufe Appeal

The management team of the Free State Department of Sport, Arts, Culture, and Recreation is reportedly divided over taking Macufe judgment to the Supreme Court of Appeal in a meeting held on Monday.

According to sources, three senior officials vowed to challenge judge Loubser’s judgment despite advice from others who said the department will still lose it.

Last week judge Loubser dismissed an appeal by the department after he set aside the decision by the department to award Macufe to Consumer Connectedness(C-2) and declared it unlawful on 3 October 2022.

Our source said a final decision will be taken when Sefora Ntombela, Free State Premier returns from Johannesburg.

SACR is not a stranger to tender controversies, last year we reported how Kutloano Tlhakudi, former acting HoD refused to sign off payment for the unveiling of Fezile Dabi statues after a service provider was allegedly hand-picked by MEC without following supply chain processes.

That decision on standing her ground cost her the acting job as she was replaced after a meeting with Ntombela.

Tlhakudi is probably the happiest person on earth right now as she could have been the one with an egg on her face with Macufe’s mess.

A legal expert who asked to remain anonymous for fear of victimization said the unnecessary appeals can only be stopped when courts order personal costs.

“This case is not winnable but of course they are using state money hence they are contemplating petitioning SCA but these will stop once personal costs are ordered then logic will kick in.”

She concluded, “Do we have solid legal advisors and do politicians listen to legal opinions? I doubt.”

Sefora Ntombela, Free State Premier has not responded to the questions we sent last week.

This is a developing story.

If you have news or tips please email news@stepupsanews.co.za or WhatsApp 0685000246