The non-payment of Central Music Awards winners continues to be a thorny issue as the Premier’s office distances itself from it despite a letter from organizers claiming that the Premier will make payments.
The Central Music Awards were held at Sand Dupplesis theatre on the 9th April 2022 and there are approximately 15 artists and service providers who are still waiting for their payments.
Following last week’s article in which we reported that a letter from Central Music Awards organizers sent to artists asked for patience as they are waiting for the Office of the Premier to process the payment.
The artists were called and requested to provide their banking details with promises that they will be paid on Thursday but it now turns out that may have only been made to ease their plans to disrupt the Premier’s Top 50 Youth Awards which were held on Friday.
According to at least four artists who spoke on condition of anonymity with fear of victimization they are still waiting for their prizes.
Another artist said this is how things in Free State are.
“We are used to this treatment and lies, it happens across the province and they will never treat an artist from outside of the province like this.”
Step Up SA News received voice notes purported to be from Lehlohonolo Mokoena to one of the artists, MC Fire.
“Hee MC ke kopa onromelle di bank account tsa gago broer waka le maina a helletse di a batliwa ko ofising ya Premier” – (MC please send me your account number and full names as they are needed at the Premier’s office)
In another voice note, he says.
“Good morning, banabeso, ke qeta ho fumana mohala from Tshidiso but I am not going into details. Batho bana ba Premier’s office ba kopa each and every person who was involved in the awards to provide their details because they don’t want the payment to come from us.”
The 15 artists who are allegedly still waiting for their prizes are:
Teboho Moruti
Don Leggeh
Dawgla Jantjies
Thabang Tax
SPL
Lady Bird
Anno
MC Fire
Nonkululeko Kingy
Shaun Dihoro
Andy T
Tsusie
Boki Mafabatho
Kaya
Chakela Lepele
In a right of reply to our previous article we asked Palesa Chubisi, spokesperson to the Free State Premier, Sefora Ntombela why would she be involved and even pay artists as per the letter by CMA when her office was not listed as sponsors she said.
“The Free State Provincial Government was never part of these awards ceremony and had not made any obligations towards them in any way.”
This simply means the 15 artists and other service providers will wait forever for their prize money.
In other news Macufe 2022 is back and billed for 2nd – 09 October 2022.
The only available details are; that there will be Gospel Concert, Comedy, Theatre, Jazz Festival, Hip Hop Festival, and Film Expo.
With the sale of Bloemfontein Celtic to Durban businesswoman Shauwn Mkhize, it remains a mystery if there will be Macufe Cup.
So far the department has not divulged which companies have been appointed as the events tender that was issued last year was met with anger-by aspirant entrepreneurs.
Let’s hope the money will not be looted, trusting comrades with money is like leaving hyenas to look after goats.
Teamz Dynamics and Central Music Awards did not respond to our questions including why should Premier pay when she did not sponsor.
If you have news and tips please email us at news@stepupsanews.co.za or WhatsApp 0685000246


More Stories
A company with links to Patrick Phuti gets R97 million tender
“Cde Thabo is out of line” – Setai to Motsoeneneng
Women shot dead a few kilometres from Men’s Indaba venue