Step Up SA

Cutting Edge News, Real Stories From South Africa

Albert Nzula District hospital delivers the first ceasarion babies


The Albert Nzula district hospital, in Trompburg situated 120 km outside Bloemfontein under Xhariep is slowly proving how serious Free State Health keeps focus of service delivery.
 
In February the hospital opened more theatre space for orthopedic patients and effectively boosting the service delivery around the District as patients don’t travel to Pelomoni hospital as Albert Nzula is fully capacitated.
 
So far the hospital has performed 16 orthopedic surgeries much to the excitement of the community.
 
Step UP SA News has learned the hospital delivered its first caesarion babies (boys) on Wednesday, 16th March 2022. The first boy(name withheld) weighing 3.34g was delivered around 09h18 while second boy was delivered few hours later at 11h20 weighing 3.35g.


Prof Baloyi supported by the Provincial Maternity and Child team delivered the babies.
 
Speaking exclusively to Step UP SA News few hours after delivery the excited the mother of the first boy, Natasha Kraalshoek said they didn’t have to wait.
 
“It was a very exciting and wonderful experience, we get everything on time and having been admitted on Wednesday and deliver a day later is great.”
 
Dr Mosebi Thejane, Albert Nzula CEO shared his excitement.
 
“I am really honoured to have such an excellent team and support from the province.
 
I am excited because this service will bring healthcare close to our patient and family at home in Xhariep.
 
It’s our vision to treat patients next to home and reduce unnecessary referral to Pelonomi hospital. Our patients will benefit and our staff skills will improve. It’s a win-win for us all.”
 


In conclusion Dr Thejane said in future all maternity patients would be done at Albert Nzula.
 
“In the near future all maternity patients will be done in Xhariep. It’s a source of pride for us.”
 
Papi Maarohanye, Acting Deputy Director General for Clinical Health Services expressed his views.

“The project on the backlog of Orthopaedic patients in the free state is gradually being phased out through the expansion of services to areas in the periphery.

We are in the third week with sixteen parents already operated at Albert Nzula hospital. We have expanded to Fezile Dabi, Thabo Mofutsanyana and currently busy establablishing services at Lejweleputswa with the intention of reaching out to all areas in the province.

We hope to cut on the influx of patients to Pelonomi which contributes to challenges of overcrowding and delays caused by factors such as theatre time and other related issues. We are convinced that we are on the right trajectory as the province and hope to bring back the quality of life back to normal to our citizens.”
 
If you have any news or tips please email us news@stepupsanews.co.za